Thursday, January 19, 2006

Okay, I Agree with Seth ... But Not that All Marketers Are Liars

Seth Godin gets a lot of press, and I mean a lot of press!

He is the consumate self-promoter, but he carries along with it a ton of marketing wisdom.

I picked up my copy of "All Marketers Are Liars." I bought the book but never read it cause somehow the title just irritated me ... I don't want to be included in a profession of liars. But I randomly opened to page 101.

He hit a chord with me in a section about anger. What angers him also angers me, and I am sure rankles you as well.

Something as powerful as marketing should not be abused for selfish ends. What we do as marketers should not be used (abused) on any kind of deceit -- whether we end up on Sixty Minutes, or just cheated one customer. We should all be smart enough to realize that today with millions of active bloggers we won't get away with deception ... and we surely all recognize that deceptive marketing will destroy our credibility with the marketplace. Trust is the one thing we work to build up with all our branding communications.

Where is the line between telling the positive story of a product without spinning it too far? To what extent can we ignore the weaknesses in our offerings. There is a line. And when we cross that line, it is not sufficient to rationalize by saying "everyone else is doing it." When we look in the mirror in the morning, we all know if we have done right by those who trust us.

The real skill we bring to the companies that hire us and the customers we serve is the ability to tell a story that is truthful, genuine, authentic. When we do this right, we will capture both the minds and hearts of our marketplaces by helping people to make purchases that are right for them and profitable for our companies.

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Megan said...

I agree with you completely, Dale. I'm glad you found a section of Godin's book that you enjoyed. I urge you, however, to read Godin's book in its entirety. It's such a great read, I'd hate for you to pass it up.

He does address the title of "All Marketers Are Liars", which I think will make you feel better!

Enjoyed your blog; I'll check back in soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Context Rules Marketing!


powered by Bloglet