Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Simple is Powerful.
RSS is Changing the Rules.

Web journalist Matt McAlister writes: "The day InfoWorld's top news RSS feed received more requests than our home page, I started thinking a frightening thought: RSS is doing to the Web today what the Web has been doing to print for the last several years. We have disintermediated our Web site by offering our news in an easier to access format...again."

Now that should get us all to thinking. Admittedly not all the RSS feeds at InfoWorld's news feed will actually get read, but the metrics are mounting so rapidly that any of us in marketing had better get smart on RSS, if we're not there yet. For one, I've been scrambling like crazy these past six months when I finally decided I had to begin blogging just to understand this new delivery technology.

Where will this RSS thing take us? Will we lose control of the messaging we so meticulously cultivate?

What we have now is a new tool. What we do with it is up to our own ingenuity.

That's one of the things I love about marketing as a career. I've been at it for 30 years and I have been fortunate to work with some of America's best marketing companies along the way. I think I have a pretty good handle on the discipline. But I learn something new everyday. It makes life a bit hectic, but keeps you young.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed
Enter your email address below to subscribe to Context Rules Marketing!


powered by Bloglet